Make a few batches of this soup mix for an easy weeknight dinner.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef or stew meat
- 7 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced celery
- 1/4 cup dried carrots
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1/4 cup imitation bacon bits (optional)
Brown meat in a soup pot. Add water and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 45 minutes or until lentils, barley, and vegetables are tender.
Make it a Mix:
Dry ingredients can be combined and stored in pint jars or ziplock bags to make dinner easy any night of the week.
Add other dried veggies for a more colorful and flavorful mix. My favorite is the red and green bell pepper mix.
This recipe was contributed by Suzanne Prevedel, family and consumer sciences educator for USU Extension in Duchesne County