Traveling over the summer is a blast. However, it can also be stressful. Instead of needing a vacation from your vacation when you return, follow these 10 quick tips to enjoy hassle-free traveling!
1. Turn off power sources and unplug electronics to save energy while you’re away from home.
2. Stop mail and newspapers and shut off all water sources before you leave.
3. Carry a bottle of alcohol-based hand sanitizer and keep daily medications and a change of clothes in a carry-on bag.
4. Limit the number of activities you plan for each day and schedule some free days. Consider traveling beyond the big cities and tourist attractions.
5. Be sure your kids and travel companions have your cell phone number in case you get separated.
6. Use your leg muscles and bend at the knees, not the waist, when lifting heavy luggage.
7. When driving long distances, stop every two hours to rest and stretch your legs.
8. On long flights, move your feet frequently while sitting, and avoid crossing your legs to reduce the risk of blood clots.
9. Limit your use of technology, and focus on the company you are with.
10. Relax, and enjoy your trip!
This article was written by Margie Memmott.
Margie Memmott is an Extension Associate Professor for Utah State University and has been serving families and communities for over 23 years. She earned degrees in Family and Consumer Sciences from BYU and USU and loves to teach youth and adults valuable life skills. “What a great reward when others adopt these principles and apply the tools to improve their everyday lives.” In her spare time Margie enjoys creative textiles/sewing, crocheting, music, technology, four wheeling in the ‘RZR’ and most of all, being with her family.
USU Hope Health Newsletter