4 Reasons Date Nights Matter
Need an excuse for a date night? We’ve got four— that is, four ways date nights can strengthen your relationship.
Make Date Night a Priority
Summertime is a great time to build memories as a family, but don’t forget to also take time for a one-on-one date with your sweetheart too! While it can be a challenge to make arrangements or take the time to get away together, research has shown that having date nights can strengthen your relationship in the following ways:
- Increasing communication. Time to talk can provide opportunities to reconnect and discover your partner’s newest interests and dreams.
- Having fun together. Date nights provide an opportunity to get out of the routine, build happy memories and rekindle the spark that can help sustain couples through the tough times.
- Strengthening commitment. Setting aside time to go on a date demonstrates your commitment to each other and sets an important example to children and others that you value your relationship.
- Providing stress relief. Date nights allow couples to enjoy time together apart from the pressing concerns of ordinary life.
Make Date Night a Success
In order to make the most of your time together, consider the following tips:
- Make an effort to plan your date, and if needed, budget so you can put money toward nice evenings out. For date ideas, check out 10 Tips for Romance on a Budget.
- Make an effort to look your best by wearing something special for your date (cologne, jewelry, special clothes, etc.).
- Get ready to music that pumps you up! When you’re listening to music you enjoy, you’ll begin to feel good and radiate positive energy.
- Give compliments. Compliment yourself and your spouse to build self-esteem.
- Make the car ride special. Use the time driving to get to know your partner better and discover their current hopes, dreams and interests.
Join us for a Date Night
Looking for a fun date night? Come to the Take a Hike! Reaching New Heights in Your Marriage Date Night on June 23, where you will explore the great outdoors as you hike together in the beautiful mountains near Salt Lake City. Reach new heights as you participate in additional relationship enhancement activities along the way to the top. Click here for more information.
This Article was written by Naomi Brower, Utah State University Extension professor
For more information, see “The Date Night Opportunity” by Brad Wilcox and Jeff Dew found at http://nationalmarriageproject.org/resources/the-date-night-opportunity/