The Secret Life of Bees
Bees are critical to our food system, and yet many people still see them as a nuisance. Increase your understanding with these five facts about bees.
- One in three bites of food are a result of pollination
- Honeybees pollinate 80% of fruit, nut and vegetable crops
- One hive can have between 40,000-60,000 bees
- A queen bee can lay about 800 – 1,200 eggs per day
- Honeybees can fly up to 15 mph and can forage up to 3 miles away from their hive
Are you a beekeeper, or are you interested in being one? Backyard beekeeping is increasing in popularity, and USU Extension has a new series of classes to promote healthy hive management. The classes can be taken individually, or you can complete the whole series and receive a USU Extension Advanced Beekeeping Certificate.