Introducing: the Smoothie Bowl
We’ve talked about smoothies here before, but now let’s talk about something new – the smoothie bowl.
What is a smoothie bowl?
A smoothie bowl is a thick smoothie served in a bowl and topped with fresh or dried fruit, nuts, seeds or granola. It’s a nutrient-dense option for breakfast or lunch, and a great way to get in a few extra servings of vegetables. Here are six tips to turn your favorite smoothie into a satisfying, delicious smoothie bowl.
- Use frozen fruits. Frozen fruits will make your smoothie cold, thick and extra delicious.
- Try vegetables. Throw in a handful of carrots, spinach, kale, chard, red cabbage or an avocado.
- Add protein. By adding a tablespoon of nut butter, a scoop of plain yogurt, or milk or nut milk, you add a boost of protein to your smoothie bowl.
- Blend with a high-power blender. Blending thick smoothies can be rough on your blender. If you make smoothies often, you may want to invest in a high-power blender that can handle frozen fruits and fibrous vegetables.
- Add chia seeds. Stir in a teaspoon of chia seeds after blending your smoothie, and let it sit for a few minutes. Chia seeds absorb water, and will naturally thicken your smoothie.
- Top it off. Sliced banana, fresh berries, unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted almonds, crunchy granola…if you can imagine it, you can put it on your smoothie bowl. Shop your pantry and get creative!